Tuesday, March 30, 2010

ABC's V is back, interview spillage with showrunner Scott Rosenbaum

You can check out my article Tuesday on Sci Fi Wire about what's coming up on ABC's V over the next few weeks. But here was a fun bit about how executive producer Scott Rosenbaum ended up running the show and how Star Wars helped him develop characters...

"What happened was I was brought in to take over the show after the third episode. I was an executive producer on The Shield and then I was an executive producer on Chuck. And so they approached me to come take over this show, and I wasn’t expecting it. I was on Chuck and doing that and it was such a cool show and a wonderful opportunity, but I just said, 'Of course.'

"It has been great. I love all genres, but I’ve always been a big science fiction fan and it was kind of nice to be able do this. There are not a lot of science fiction shows out there anymore, and it was nice to sort of be able to get onto one," said Rosenbaum. "The big thing I wanted to bring to the show was I wanted to make it really character based.

"What some people consider, certainly in my generation, one of the greatest science fiction movies was Star Wars. People always wonder like why was Star Wars so much more effective than some other science fiction movies in terms getting a wider audience, and for me I thought about it a lot and I think the way I would sort of analyze it is that the story was told through very identifiable people, Luke Skywalker, Princess Lea. You, as an audience, were able to see their point of view and see their lives rather than it being, let’s say, through an alien’s point of view. It was through a human’s point of view, and so one of the things that I think is essential and something I really worked on especially in the first episodes is in terms of just setting up story for later because I think a lot of it needed to be there."

More Scott Rosenbaum later with a chat about the difference between the original V and the new V.

No comments:

Post a Comment